Sunday, November 28, 2010

My New Love

My friends, this is my latest project.


For the past year I really came to love my previous Cannondale Crit. I was amazed that a bike from the late 80s I had acquired for cheap was as light and fast as it was, and enabled me keep up and do decently in a criterium race. I acquired some parts for it that I never got around to installing (6500 Ultegra group, carbon fork), threw a lightweight Neuvation wheelset on it, kept it tuned up, and had a blast riding it with all it's downtube-shifting, stiff-riding, Biopace glory. 

Fast forward to when it was stolen; I was completely heartbroken. I had plans to re-paint it, install that carbon fork and group, and ride the hell out of it to progress in road cycling. 

After a lot of research and financial review, I decided that I wanted to build another old C'Dale Crit. I came across this 1990 Cannondale SR400 Criterium frameset on Ebay, bid the opening bid, and won it! As stated in the previous post, when I received it I was in awe over how good of shape it was in. I started throwing on the parts I had lying around as soon as I could, and became addicted. Lots of bidding, lots of research, lots of financial balancing ensued (I'm relieved I'm able to pay for food, rent and utilities after buying up parts!), and now all I'm waiting on are a few small but crucial parts. 

So what is the purpose of all of this? Why am I so stoked on it? Why an old C'Dale? 

I've developed quite a passion for road riding. I cannot wait to do a ride or two on it before the winter gets too intense (I'm going to try to keep it away from the salt), do thousands of miles on a trainer, really churn out the miles as soon as possible in the late Winter/early Spring and start crit racing as soon as possible! I enjoyed the 2 races I did last season so much that I really want to race a lot more next season! 

I had so much luck last year with an old Cannondale for so cheap, why not try another one? A newer CAAD9, Allez, 1.5, etc would be a swell bike too, but I really got a soft spot for older bikes and how much they can offer for the price. I just would rather throw down for a well/hand/USA-made old C'dale, especially in my financial situation. Maybe when I have a well-paying career I'll consider a modern replacement, but until then I'm quite happy with what I've got. It also doesn't hurt to get compliments from the various bike shops I give my business to. 

Road riding, while it has cost a pretty penny, has gotten me into great shape, taught me a lot of constructive and useful skills, taught me a lot about myself, has been very rewarding, and has just been a total blast! This bike will ensure that all of this keeps happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment